Sunday, 22 June 2008

Ribs Steamed and in place

After finishing the upper frame by cutting the tenon ends off and
sanding the ends flush its time for the feared "steaming of the ribs".

I made a steam-box out of a polystyrene board and joined together with
silver tape. I added a towel atone end as a opening and pushed some wires through
to make shelf's to keep the wood in the middle when steaming.
I then used an old kettle and our camping stove to produce the steam.
I have to say it worked really well and made the job a easier.

The steamer.

I also made the bending jig recommended in one of the books I following
this also worked really well.

Bending jig.

I managed to bend all the ribs in an afternoon and very few breakages
a real positive surprise and a rewarding job.

Here's a few picture of the ribs in place.

From the bow.

And from the stern.

Next up sanding and pegging the ribs.

Tuesday, 17 June 2008

Frame sanded and beams pegged

I sanded and dismantled the frame, and made sure the
tenons fitted the best they could. Then locked the beams in the frame
with trunnels and with the first lashing at both ends.

Trunnels wedged and fitted.

The frame clamped and the first holes drilled for the locking dowels.

Dowels in place ready for sanding.

After all the beams are locked with dowels, every other
beam is lashed against the tenon.

Next up finish the lashings.

Friday, 6 June 2008

Deck beams in place

Time to cut the tenons for the main beams and fit them
snugly against the gunwales.

One of the beams ready for cutting. Most the sawing I used the
Japanese saw really easy to control and
gave a straight clean cut.

Ready for fitting. Lots of angles to cut to.

Nice tight fit.

All the beams (apart from the masik) and sitting to see if back/feet
positions worked out. Happy chappy :)

Monday, 2 June 2008

Marking deck beams

Now its time for the deck-beams. There are three types of beams
I'll start with two of them first, the main thinner beams and the two
thicker beams above the legs.

All the beams are cut to a rough length and layed in place.

Next up two jigs to help mark out the compound angles
on the tenons on the beams.

One of the jigs in work, this one offsets the angle so that
the tenons sit at the right height.

Here are the two thicker deck-beams roughed out and in

All the beams marked out and ready for me to cut the tenons